Thursday, October 27, 2005

Paradigm shift

I find that today I bring three Italians to mind. The first is Da Vinci, in part due to the book that talks of a code, but mostly because of his notebooks and the amazing inventions he could envisage years before their actual creation. Next I think of Galileo, and his attempt at bringing a paradigm shift in the cosmological and thus scientific paradigm of the time he lived within and his subsequent persecution by the powers at the time. Finally I bring to mind Gramsci, and of course his life and once again famous notebooks, and again persecution by the powers that be. I'm sure some would say that in the 21st Century things have changed, myself I have evidence that primitive thinkers rarely change throughout history, but as the knowledge of man grows, their wielding of their power will diminish. Real emancipation is the emancipation of the mind.
'Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real.'
Jules Verne, French Author (1828-1905)

No comments: