Friday, October 14, 2005

The Colo(u)r Purple.

I just watched Alice Walker on Hardtalk on BBC News24. She was asked about 'making it' as an Afro(Black)-American. She said that 'making it' meant diddly squat, when people could starve and dehydrate to the point of death in New Orleans, with 40 million people being 'functionally illiterate'. I remember a CD compilation I put together called 'Manumission' some time ago, with thought to the 13th amendment to the US constitution, kinda relevant when one considers the colo(u)r purple and universal suffrage. I recall a Public Enemy lyric, a band I loved as a yout', I even recall wishing Prof. Griff 'As Salaam Alaykum' while he was on Oxford Street, I just wonder if they still believe in 'Security of the First World' (S1W) given that so many in Dixie effectively still live in third world conditions. Mind you, Public Enemy were Yankies, and now the USA has a goddamn New England Yankee President pretending like he's a Southerner, my guess is he's naught but a wannabe young gun, running to daddy or daddy's friends when he gets in trouble.

'I got a letter from the government, the other day, I opened and read it, It said they were suckers. They wanted me for their army or whatever, picture me given' a damn - I said never. Here is a land that never gave a damn, about a brother like me and myself, because they never did. I wasn't wit' it, but just that very minute...It occured to me, the suckers had authority. Cold sweatin' as I dwell in my cell, how long has it been? They got me sittin' in the state pen. I gotta get out - but that thought was thought before, I contemplated a plan on the cell floorI'm not a fugitive on the run, but a brother like me begun - to be another one. Public enemy servin' time - they drew the line y'all, to criticize me some crime - never the less, they could not understand that I'm a Black man, and I could never be a veteran. On the strength, the situation's unreal, I got a raw deal, so I'm goin' for the steel.' (Public Enemy, Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos)

Like the joke goes, Bush got bored of only being able to kill 'niggers' one at a time as Governor of Texas, so he became President and started to kill 'sand niggers' by the thousand. Well I guess he had to do something to prove his 'rebel' credentials. Myself I like to ponder the parable of the sower.

No comments: